Insurance and Risk Management claims management
Accident reporting procedures
Insurance and Risk Management is responsible for managing the insurance program for UOIT. This responsibility includes managing all losses and/or claims that may impact UOIT's insurance coverage.
Insurance and Risk Management will notify the insurance carrier. It is the responsibility of UOIT's insurers to investigate any or all claims on behalf of the university.
In the event of any loss (personal injury, property damage, automobile, etc.) the department involved must:
- File a report either with Security and/or the local police department.
- Contact Insurance and Risk Management.
- Make no admissions, settlements or offers, or sign any statements except as required by a police officer.
The following is a brief summary of the types of losses and the appropriate reporting procedures that should occur:
Automobile (owned or leased vehicle) accident reporting procedures
In case of an on-campus automobile accident:
- Stop immediately and investigate.
- If anyone is injured, give first aid.
- Notify Security (ext. 2400) immediately. Security will contact the ambulance or police if necessary.
- Security will also file an accident report on your behalf and a copy will be sent to Insurance and Risk Management.
In case of an off-campus accident:
(Auto Accident Form)
- Stop immediately and investigate.
- If anyone is injured, give first aid, or if necessary, contact the ambulance (911). If possible, note the type of injury and get names and addresses of injured persons.
- Notify police immediately. If possible, obtain officer's name and badge number.
- Obtain names, addresses and insurance information (pink-coloured insurance card) of owners and drivers, and the license plate number of other cars involved, as well as names and addresses of any witnesses.
- If the accident is minor, you may be directed to the nearest Collision Reporting Centre to file an accident report.
- Report the accident to Insurance and Risk Management immediately.
Although many automobile accidents may appear minor in nature, it is not uncommon for third parties to suffer from bodily injury after the incident. Such injuries sometimes result in a much larger claim against the university. Failure to report an accident promptly may result in a delay or denial of claim.
General liability (personal injury, bodily injury or property damage to third parties)
In the event of an on-campus injury:
- Seek medical attention immediately. Security will call an ambulance if necessary.
- All personal injury incidents should be reported to Security within 24 hours after the accident.
- Security will forward the report to Insurance and Risk Management.
- If the injury involves an employee, Human Resources must be notified within 24 hours of the accident.
- If a student is injured, Student Services must be notified.
In the event of an off-campus injury:
- If anyone is injured, give first aid, or if necessary, contact the ambulance (911). If possible, note the type of injury and get names and addresses of injured persons and any witnesses to the occurrence.
- Notify police immediately. If possible, obtain the officer's name and badge number.
- Report accident to Insurance and Risk Management within 24 hours.
In the event of property damage to outside third parties (caused by a UOIT community member while on university business):
- Notify property owner immediately.
- If necessary, contact police or fire department (911).
- Owner will report incident to their insurers if necessary.
- Report incident to the Insurance and Risk Management Department within 24 hours.
Damage to third party automobiles is covered under the university's automobile policy.
Property (damage to or destruction of UOIT property, owned or leased) accident reporting procedures
- Immediately notify Security.
- In case of break-in or theft, Security must notify police.
- Police officer's name, badge number and division are to be obtained and included in security report.
- Give full details of the incident:
- when it occurred
- how it occurred
- dollar value of damage
- Security Services issues a copy of the report to Insurance and Risk Management.
When the loss is such that repairs must begin immediately (e.g., fire, flood, large numbers of computer losses, etc.), please contact Security.
Insurance and Risk Management will notify the insurance carrier to initiate the claims process.