Contracts and agreements
- In every transaction between UOIT and its suppliers, the university is exposed to liability claims.
- Most of these transactions involve a contract or agreement containing terms and conditions outlining responsibilities. These contracts are usually provided by the supplier and are drafted to favour the supplier.
- UOIT wants to ensure these contracts or agreements do not impose or transfer a liability or responsibility to us from the supplier, beyond what is reasonable.
- Before the contracts or agreements are signed, the insurance clauses must be reviewed and their removal or amendment negotiated. The insurance clauses will have some of the responsibility outlined; however, it is not unusual to find many other clauses and responsibilities throughout the contracts or agreements. In the contract or agreement, the following words are used to transfer liability to UOIT:
- Hold harmless
- Additional insured
- Total responsibility
- Prior to signing any contracts or agreements, forward a copy of the entire document to the Insurance and Risk Management department to the attention of Elaine Wannamaker.
- In consultation with you and with your assistance, we will review:
- the contract or agreement
- what it is intended to do
- your desire to complete the contract or agreement
- the positive impact for UOIT
Note: Signing authority for all contracts or agreements is restricted to the following individuals: