Green your dorm
How to 'go green' in your dorm room
Challenge yourself to make your dorm room experience sustainable!
- Double-sided printing: Set this as your printer's default and use half the paper!
- Green water bottle: Ditch expensive plastic bottles, which are harmful to the environment. First-year students can pick up a free reusable water bottle with laptop pickup.
- Drying rack: Save money and the environment! Air-drying laundry with a foldable clothes drying rack reduces energy consumption.
- Green cleaning: Choose environmentally friendly cleaning products and laundry detergent.
- Buy used: Buy pre-owned textbooks, furniture and household items. Reusing these items saves them from being sent to landfills and reduces the need for new products.
- Alternative transportation: Walking, biking or rollerblading reduces carbon emissions and your environmental impact.
- Power bars: Many plug-in items use energy when not in use. Use a power bar, you can easily turn off these items to reduce impact.
- Save on water: Take shorter showers and turn off the faucet when brushing your teeth or washing your face.
- Reusable shopping bags: Invest in reusable bags to eliminate the need for plastic bags. If you bring home plastic bags, reuse them as garbage bags.
- Recycled paper products: When buying paper towels, toilet paper or printer paper, opt for recycled materials.
- Rechargeable batteries: Instead of simply throwing them out, get rechargeable ones instead. Batteries can also be disposed of at libraries across campus.
- Turn off the lights: Don’t be wasteful; always turn off lights when you and your roommate are out.